Additional Species

Please allow 2 months lead time to process your revision request.

To request permission to band additional species or additional species groups, please provide the BBL with the following information.
1. Master's name and permit number and any subpermits that require this permission
2. New species or species group
3. Permittee's qualifications and resume of banding experience. Permittee must list experience for each species group or similar group of birds they are requesting to band:
- Approximate dates of banding
- Species or species group banded
- Approximate number of birds processed/banded/handled
- Banding location
4. Project Proposal (if new project) or project name/purpose if there is an ongoing project proposal on file.
5. Species or species groups to be banded (choices are one species, a list of species or a species group). Species groups are the following:
 -  Waterfowl
 -  Migratory webless game
 -  Doves
 -  Blackbirds
 -  Passerines and near-passerines
 -  Woodpeckers
 -  Flycatchers
 -  Sparrows
 -  Swallows
 -  Diurnal Raptors
 -  Owls
 -  Shorebirds
 -  Gulls
 -  Terns
 -  Seabirds
 -  Alcids
 -  Herons, Egrets, Ibis, Spoonbills
 -  Hummingbirds (see information below)
 -  MAPS
 -  Cavity nesting species
 -  Rehabilitated birds

Authorization to Capture or Mark Hummingbirds

The capture, banding and marking of hummingbirds requires special authorization from the Bird Banding Laboratory. This authorization will be granted only to banders who have completed hummingbird banding training that covers the currently accepted techniques to capture and band/mark hummingbirds and the proper procedures for making hummingbird bands. Unlike other bird bands, hummingbird bands must be cut to the appropriate sizes and formed by the bander, requiring knowledge, skills and equipment not required of other bird banders. Documentation of training should be provided at the time that the authorization is requested. Hummingbird bands are only issued to permits with hummingbird authorizations, and incidental banding of hummingbirds is not allowed.

Authorization to Capture or Mark Waterfowl

Waterfowl banding data plays an integral role in the management of their hunted populations. Governmental agencies responsible for managing these populations determine the annual banding quotas required to meet their information needs. Hence, in the U.S., authorization to capture and mark waterfowl is generally granted only to state or federal conservation agency employees and their assistants. Graduate students and university faculty engaged in waterfowl research may also receive this authorization, especially for projects that have received endorsement from the appropriate Flyway Council. Permits issued to other persons are worded to exclude authorization to capture or mark waterfowl. This special waterfowl authorization is intended to prevent banders from trapping specifically for waterfowl, or pursuing and harassing nesting waterfowl or broods, but does not preclude the banding of waterfowl captured incidentally to other banding operations.

This information can be sent to

Back to Top