Bird Banding Laboratory



Site Map Index

Contact Info

Asistencia en Espanol

Federal Bird Banding and Marking Permits

Although the North American Bird Banding Program is a joint project between the US and Canada, the permits issued by each country are covered under separate laws, hence separate permits are issued from each country. US banders must request a separate permit to band in the US. Formerly individuals with permits for both countries were identified with the same permit number, but currently they are given separate numbers.

There are different types of Federal bird banding and marking permits available in each country. The qualifications required to apply for a permit, the procedures followed in making the application and the limitations and authorizations of a permit are also different between the two countries.